Sunday, April 5, 2009

tinfoil haute couture

I know you think I'm paranoid. Everyone thinks that about me...

I have definite tinfoil-hat tendencies. But mock me if you will... these tendencies pay off.

In 1999, I moved to an apartment that had a wood-burning fireplace and was a quick walk away from the lake. Why? Because if something happened with Y2K, I'd be set. Lots of trees in the area for firewood, and water close by that could be made potable. I had a small cache of emergency supplies set aside — food for about 3 weeks if necessary. The new year came and went without incident. And I had a lovely fireplace to enjoy, and didn't have to go shopping for a few weeks.

When we had August 2003 blackout, I was in my office delighting — "I've been waiting years for this!" It may have taken forever to drive home, but as others were sitting around in traffic burning up fuel (without the ability to refuel at any stations), our hybrid was happily idling on battery. Got home, cranked up the Grundig to see what radio stations had power, and had a lovely meal by oil lamp, courtesy of our camping stove.

When I took holidays this past summer, it was the week skyrocketing gas prices in Toronto. Gas reached a high of about $1.33/L. And of all the books I picked up to read that week, I chose The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of the Oil Age, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-first Century.

Perhaps not the best reading, but it's good to know the worst case scenario. When the time comes to get a second vehicle, it's going to be a diesel. One that we may get converted to run on vegetable oil (still to be negotiated).

The next thing I want to indulge my tinfoil hat tendencies just a little more is one of these:

http://www.blockemf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5053

Sure, it takes care of the space waves coming from the outside... and unlike a tinfoil hat, this has an undersheet to protect you from all angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment